Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thinking it over

A few days ago I sent this message to a few universities/local colleges:

I'm an adult who's looking to make a career change. I already have a Master's degree in Business Administration from Devoutly Religious University and a Bachelor's degree in Human Development from More Christian than Christians University. I'd like to study computer science. Is there an accelerated or evening program that I could attend? Either way, please send me information on your program, including tuition, course requirements and prerequisites. I'd also welcome a phone call from one of your entrance counselors if possible.

Before I jump head or feet first into another academic program, I think I need to decide why I'm doing it and what I hope to gain. I don't want to just follow in my parents' footsteps by going back to school because I've heard people can make a lot of money in a certain field, without considering whether I have the skills or inclination to be successful at it. If I'm going to pile on even more student loan debt then I need to be certain I can use my degree to pay it all off.

Do I have an interest in computer science? I'm not sure. I don't think I know enough about it. I know you can make lots of money and meet lots of men. I know sometimes you can set your own hours and wear jeans & sandals to work. I know it involves doing smart-mass things and feeling superior to non-techy people. I also know it involves taking a lot of math and physics classes, which scares me a little bit since I might actually have to work to pass them - but I did manage to pull off a 4.0 in my MBA program so maybe I can handle it.

Is going back to school really just a way for me to avoid job searches and interviews? Is that why thinking about it gives me a sense of relief? Or do I feel relieved because I feel trapped and unstimulated by the jobs I can do with my current skill set? Is this about more than just finding a career? Is it because I can't stand the thought that one of my siblings is more successful than I am, so I want to get the same degree and prove that I'm better than him? These are all things to mull over before committing myself to a course of action.

Please feel free to weigh in. Let me know if there's something else I'm missing, if my interest in the field seems frivolous, if you think I'm better suited for a life of crime... whatever. I could use a sounding board or two.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I guess my only advice comes from the crazy dad on "Strictly Ballroom:"

"We lived our lives in FEAR!"